Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Dressing I have flown with American airlines for some years

Customer Question

good morning my name is ***** ***** I have flown with American airlines for some years accumulating 41000 sky miles , when I was in London they took 20000 sky miles for my return to Orlando which left me a balance of 21000 miles . I need to fly to Pensacola next month and require the 21000 miles . AA told me this morning I had NO miles . I said how come ?? they said I had redeemed my balance ??? I said I havnt done a thing and I want my 21000 miles . they said in order for me to get my miles back I would have to pay $200 . I havnt 200 cents . so I regard that as blackmail . I am a pensioner 79 yrs and drastically need my sky miles . please help if you can . kind regards john dressing.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, welcome to the NEW American, which for frequent fliers has become the worst airline every (from personal experience). Old miles do expire now if not used in 18 months, when they never used to expire, and if you want them reinstated you have to pay to get them back (and pay back a ridiculous amount). I am afraid the terms of their miles have changed though to allow them to take back points from members that were earned more than a 18 months ago without any use. If there was use and they took them contrary to the terms of the new rewards agreement, then you need to first speak to a supervisor to get the points reinstated and if they fail to do so then you could sue in small claims court to recover the miles if they were taken contrary to the new agreement terms. See: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/terms-and-conditions.jsp