Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

Who owns the copyright for a logo?" logo contest for a

Customer Question

quot;who owns the copyright for a logo?"logo contest for a company. a company asks employees to come up with a logo. the best one will be use for????? i guess it will be used to promote the plant(sub division), that is part of a larger company. the winner will not get payed in any way.
any kind of copyrights for this type of logo?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am afraid that you may not like what I must tell you about this subject, but I do not want to mislead you.

The first point is that this is NOT an issue of copyright. Copyright laws do not apply to logos. One can not copyright short phrases such as titles and logos.

The area of the law that protects things like Logos is Trademark. In order for a logo to be protected it must be registered as a Trademark connected with the company. An employee would not be eleigible to register a Logo affilitaed with a specific brand.

Lastly, the creative work of an employee that is related to the business of an employer is assumed to belong to the employer under the law. Employee's works are considered to be what is called "Works for Hire." This means that it is the employer (NOTthe employee) that has the ownership of the employees creative works.

This article from the US Patent, Trademark and Copyrights Office describes this in greater detail:

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.