D Downs-Vollbracht
D Downs-Vollbracht,
Experience:  General Counsel at Cadre Consulting, LLC
96078630

I would like to run a giveaway on Twitter that requires

Customer Question

I would like to run a giveaway on Twitter that requires people entering the contest to retweet my contest tweet and follow me on Twitter. This is a very common type of giveaway on Twitter. I am based in California and am wondering what type of rules I need to post for this contest. I am assuming I need to limit it to U.S. citizens over the age of 18? Also, do I need to provide a way for them to enter the contest that does not require liking and retweeting? For example, emailing me their entry. Are there certain states that I have to exclude from entering?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  D Downs-Vollbracht replied 3 months ago.
Good evening. I am familiar with the type of contest you are planning. Are you promoting a business or the sale of goods or services? What will the winner of the contest receive and how will the winner be selected?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm promoting an affiliate website that sells affiliate products through Amazon. The winner will receive a stuffed animal valued under $30. The winner will be selected randomly from entrants.
Ok great! You actually should be good simply stating the terms of the contest, "the winner will be selected at random from all qualified entries on X date and time. Winner will be notified (you can tweet or message...however is most convenient for you) by X. To enter, simply retweet the terms of the contest and follow me on Twitter". In general, you are dealing with a multi jurisdictional Internet / social media contest. You aren't charging money for a raffle or gambling type endeavor, so as long as you clearly state the terms of the contest and follow through by awarding the stuffed animal and notifying winner, etc., you will be good. I hope it is a huge success and you get a lot of followers. If you need any more help, let me know. :)
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is this language sufficient and to be placed on my website with a link from the Twitter contest?Retweet the contest tweet and follow us to enter.Contest open to US residents only. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Limit one entry per person. Must be 18+ years old to enter.Contest ends 11:59pm PST on Sept. 14, 2016. Winner will be selected at random from all qualified entries on Sept. 15, 2016. Winner will be notified by direct Twitter message.
That should suffice. It covers all of your terms and conditions and clearly states the requirements to have a valid entry. Good luck and I hope you have a lot of entries.
Please remember to give me a positive review. It is how the pay system works and helps me improve my answers. Thanks and again, hope your contest goes well. :)