Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

In Queensland, Australia, I have stored 10 merchandise bags

Customer Question

In Queensland, Australia, I have stored 10 merchandise bags in new condition, at my house for three years, for an UK charity which I helped create, as a founder, but walked away from after 8 months, in 2013.
In March 2016 I sent the charity a registered letter asking them to either make arrangements to have the merchandise picked up by courier or if i received no response, I would dispose of the property. I received no response.
Today, I received an aggressive phone call from a stranger saying she was the charity CEO's friend, but would not disclose her name. She wanted to come and pick up the merchandise. She was aggressive and when she refused to give her name, I hung up.
The UK CEO has previously breached Australian stalking laws, so having a stranger phone me about coming to my house is of great concern.
In Queensland law, do I have the right to dispose of the merchandise - or am I bound to wait until the charity finally acts professionally, with a courier?
Thank you,
Michele Brown.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

This is a bailment situation. Under the law of bailment, you must take reasonable care of the goods and not do anything to damage them or take them from the owner. If you get rid of another's property without his/her/its agreement you may be responsible to the owner for the value of the belongings.

If the person refuses to take the property, you’re still legally responsible for it unless you reach an agreement with the owner or get a court order to get rid of the belongings or insure that property is safely delivered to the owner with proof of delivery. You may be able to sue for recovery of the cost of delivery.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.