AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

In Florida can I hold lien or tack of horse boarder who has

Customer Question

In Florida can I hold lien or tack of horse boarder who has not paid rent per written agreement
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats all
Category: Business Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Just a moment as I research this.

I apologize for the delay in answering your question. I thought that I had provided the answer, and just noticed that I did not. Please accept my apologies.

In FL, the stable keeper's lien only extends to the horse, and not to the tack. If you have a contract that allows you to sell the tack, then you can do so in accordance with your contractual provisions. Otherwise, you can't hold or sell the tack for the non-payment of rent. If you don't have a provision in your boarder's agreement allowing you to do this, you should draft a provision and have it put in your agreement for the future.

I hope that helped.

Has that answered your question?

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 2 months ago.

Can you please let me know if I have answered your question? Please type in your response.