Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

I got into a minor accident in a rental truck. I went

Customer Question

I got into a minor accident in a rental truck. I went through the proper channels (insurance, rental company, reported to police) and was told I'd be deemed at fault because I was reversing out of the parking spot due to FL stature. I just recently turned in the rental truck, and realized they inputted the truck was returned the 13th (a day before the accident). Do I have a case for negligence and/or can I make them pay the accident?
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you saying that the rental company made a mistake on the paperwork about when you returned in the truck?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That is correct. I rented the truck and a car carrier as well. When I returned the car carrier earlier (the 13th) it seems they noted it as returned the entire truck (carrier and all). The accident happened the 14th and I returned the truck today (15th).
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your assistance.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello?

Ok, to be perfectly honest, a clerical error by the rental company is not going to remove your liability. This is just a typographical mistake so they could still pursue this and prove that you were the person driving the truck that got in the accident.

.

So you are still on the hook here...

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks