Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

I recently left a small private practice in New York and

Customer Question

Hello.
I recently left a small private practice in New York and have reached out to a few former clients on linked in and by phone. I did not have any contract or written agreement and have not given the info to anyone else. I informed them of my new location. Is this a hipaa violation or any other legal issue?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

It is only a HIPAA violation if you are disclosing private confidential health information about a patient to a third party without their consent.

.

So if you are reaching out to the client directly, there is no 3rd party disclosure of any potentially confidential information and this wouldn't be a violation.

.

So it is not improper or illegal for you to notify former clients of your current location as long as there is not a non compete in place with the previous employer..

.

.

thanks