Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I want to sell a carved ivory tusk. Its pre 1960s What can I

Customer Question

I want to sell a carved ivory tusk. Its pre 1960s What can I do or just throw it away it worth 4500.00. Brock Howard ***@******.***
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: california
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: its pre 1960's it was inherited. Its 4500.00 carved its 21" high and 12" at base
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Unfortunately new regulations recently put into place by the federal government has imposed a near total ban on the sale of Ivory. Under previous law you may have been able to sell the item IF you could have proven its age. Now the item must be over 100 hundred years old with proof of age in order for it to be sold. Anything newer and anything without documentation can no longer be sold.

BUT don't throw it away. Things may eventually change (laws do change) and someone in your own family may want it at some point.

For now, I am sorry to say that you can not lawfully sell the carving.

I am sorry that this is not what you wanted to hear, but I would not want to mislead you into pursuing an action that could cause you difficulty.

See:

https://www.fws.gov/international/travel-and-trade/ivory-ban-questions-and-answers.html

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald