KJLLAW
KJLLAW, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

My partner and I hired a lawyer to chase down a client that

Customer Question

My partner and I hired a lawyer to chase down a client that did not pay their invoice. Now I learn from the lawyer my partner contacted them and told them to withdraw his portion from working on this. The lawyer tells me we need to close this administratively then reopen as just my case. Since my partner has stopped communicating to me for reasons I don't know, what happens if I continue this case and win the client to pay whats owed? How do I tack my fees onto his portion of the award should I win it?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon. The lawyer has to withdraw from representing both you and your partner if one of you decide to not pursue the case. He can withdraw and then continue to represent you if you agree. The attorney would have to work out a deal with you partner regarding fees and costs associated with collecting the invoice. More than likely he would have to commence an actin against your partner for the costs associated with the collection.I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

So if I am awarded are there legal fees that come out of my partner's share? Hes making me foo the bill and aggravation for his benefit..doesn't seem fair but how does the law look at it?

Expert:  KJLLAW replied 5 months ago.

So yes, if you are awarded legal fees that would come out of his share of the award. The law only allows you to sue him to recover the fees and costs you incur arising out of the action.

Expert:  KJLLAW replied 5 months ago.

Any other questions, just ask. If not please rate the question for credit and tracking, or I will not get paid for helping you.

Expert:  KJLLAW replied 5 months ago.