Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

In 2014 I had a contract with a landscaper in Connecticut to

Customer Question

In 2014 I had a contract with a landscaper in Connecticut to provide services. The contract ended at the end of 2014. On 8/8/2016 I received an invoice from the same contractor for $904.40. Their explanation for their delayed invoice was that they had upgraded their software, in in doing so, discovered the charges. Neither I or the landscaper had been aware of the charges until their new software found it. Am I responsible for paying this debt?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No, except that the landscaper wants their money immediately, even though they were not aware of the balance until their new software found the outstanding balance.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Do you dispute the debt or that the work was done?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
neither I or the vendor were aware of the charges. Work was done on my property, and I was billed for the work, and I paid for the work. The charges I received today are separate from what I was already was billed, and what I already paid. I ended my contractural agreement with the company at the end of 2014. They claim that they found the unpaid charges when the upgraded their computer software.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

Ok. Thanks.

Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

The statute of limitations on an open account such as this is 6 years....so the landscaping company is within the relevant time to seek this money from you. However, if you dispute the debt/charges, then you can refuse to pay, claim that the work was not done/that you paid for the services that were rendered, and that this "glitch" in their software is generating a bill for services you didn't receive.

Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

If they want to pursue the matter, the landscaping company would have to sue, and it would have to prove that it did the work, and it's likely that two years after the fact, it would be hard to prove the work was done ---- and it would be even more difficult to provide a good faith reason for the delay in issuing the bill.