Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I paid an attorney collection service for a stipulated

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** paid an attorney collection service for a stipulated judgement in 2007 and I am trying to get copies of the statements or checks. The bank says that they only keep records 7 years. Is this true or can the courts request the records
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't think so, I cannot find my records showing payment. THere was only a verbal arrangement made of $500 per month until paid($6000). I opened a special account with the bank just for that purpose/
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, the banks by law are only required to keep records for 7 years, so I am afraid if the bank does not keep records beyond required 7 year period, there would not be a way for courts to subpoena records that the bank simply does not have.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!