Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

I have been smoking 2years now am I protect under the

Customer Question

Hello so I have been smoking 2years now am I protect under the grandfather law to buy and smoke cigarettes Evan though I'm only 20
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There is unfortunately no general grandfather law that applies to all situations. The way grandfathering works is, when a legislature passes a new law, they have the ability - but not the obligation - to insert a clause stating that people who are not in compliance with the law on the date it passes are exempt from it's provisions. The California legislature chose not to insert a grandfathering provision in this statute, probably because it would be nearly impossible to enforce. Stores that sell cigarettes can easily verify age from an identification, but they have no way of verifying who was smoking before the law went into effect on June 9. Unless you are a service member, you will not be able to legally purchase cigarettes in California until you turn 21. It would also be a violation of the new law for someone else to give you cigarettes while in California.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Good luck.

Did you have any other questions about this?