Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law

I would like to open a private club/ after hours. I want

Customer Question

I would like to open a private club/ after hours. I want members to be able BYOB, but is it ok for member to share their drinks with each other? For example If I wanted to do a theme night where members would bring their best mixed drinks, and other members would sample and would vote on the best drink of the night. Would that be ok for me to do?
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I want to do this in Columbus ohio
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

The problem is not that members share their drinks it is that you cannot legally allow people to bring their own liquor to the restaurant or club. You would have to sell them the liquor and you would need a liquor license to do that. Anyone you know that operates allowing BYOB is doing so illegally in Ohio and is just hoping to stay under the radar.

I am sorry for the bad news but that is the status of the law in Ohio.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.