Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I have a question regarding a settlement for workers

Customer Question

Hello. I have a question regarding a settlement for workers compensation. Generally speaking, if they settle for $140,000 (for example) would they subtract what they have already paid you from that amount?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Generally, no, the settlement is for all unpaid claims, not for claims they already paid. The settlement is for future medical claims and lost income and you need to read your settlement carefully because if they are trying to deduct past payments it would have to say it clearly in your settlement agreement and if it does not, then it is for future damages.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your response. In this situation, where would lawyers fees be deducted from then?
Thank you for your reply.
It is up to your fee agreement with your attorneys as to where they get their fees. If your agreement was they get a percentage of your award, they would come from your award.