Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I am conducting a drug test employee of the federal

Customer Question

I am conducting a drug test for an employee of the federal government. We shut down public access to 2 restrooms on the 14th floor of the building and asked tenants to use the restrooms on the other floors just for a few hours. Now tenant's are complaining to the building management company that they will sue them for not giving them notice. Is this true? There are other bathrooms to use on 13 +floors.....I am in San Diego California
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
They cannot sue you for closing the bathrooms and not giving them notice. There would be no damages, because it does not violate the warranty of habitability, since there were other restrooms to be used, and they cannot show any monetary damages. If they cannot prove any actual monetary damages or a breach of the lease, it is not like a residential lease, they have nothing a court can rule for them on. So this is a bunch of people confusing residential with commercial leases (notice provisions are not the same for commercial leases they do not come under the landlord tenant act) and also not knowing that to sue anyone you have to have an actual breach of the contract and damages as well.