Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

I 't know what kind of attorney I need but here is my story.

Customer Question

I don't know what kind of attorney I need but here is my story. I bought a house in 1999 and went into a business 2003 and found out my partner was trying to pull out. I thought it was a year lease but turned out to be a 5 year lease. I closed the business after a year and because the landlord did not like my partner was going to sue for the 5 yr lease. I paid every bill and told her I would just go bankrupt. I didn't know they could not go after my home and being she told me she took her name off her house I ask my common law husband to please take over the mortgage. He ended up buying the house for $150,000 with a crooked attorney who went to jail and he gave him a cashiers check for $40,000. I was so devastated with all that was going on with me as taking care of my daughter who is mentally challenged and physically normal and who was abducted and trying to get her back at that time plus other things. I kept asking Steve why was the mortgage so high as I had it down to $78,000 and he would say. He would tell me I owed him $40,000 that he put down on the house but forgot to tell me the whole story. He made the check out to the attorney and bought the house and I never got a dime for it. I started to get myself together and kept asking him questions to find out all I told you as though I was in a coma and just came out. He refinanced the house and put me on the deed in 2009 and so when I found interest rates went down to 3.65% I told him I want to refiance the house but said not unless his name is ***** ***** I told him I would have a letter drawn up saying I would give him $40,000 which is not my fault as he claimed he didn't know he bought the house but as my son said, "Steve is either very stupid or very smart". I was going this weeked to get this done but he would not allow me to do this without his name on the mortgage. I don't know what to do or who can help me.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Kennesaw Georgia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I still have the orginal papers from when I owned the house that is about it I have been robbed and don't know what happened to my tax returns, called the bank America to ask them who was to send me the monies and where did the monies go to but can't get a response
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can be called at: (###) ###-####if this is easier please do not hesitate. I am so upset and feel I was once again robbed and being taken advantage of. I invested a lot of monies in this house and you and I know if it gets sold I will never get the monies I invested in this place and with him on the Mortgage and Me on the Deed It would have to be split. I am very, very devastated and hope there is something I can do. I also want to know what happened to the monies when he bought the house from me. I would have to go back to 2003 - he refinance in 2009 which is when he put me on the Deed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I never went to a closing on this nor did he. The attorney was Robert P. Copeland if you want to look him up in GA. Steve had a girl called Rosie who was on Hilton Head Island (as he worked there at this time) that took care of the papers for him and when contacted she said she came up with some information and would get back to me but never did, which looks to funny she hasn't. I do have her number as well if you need it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't get anyone to pull up the papers for 2003 to show this transaction and were the monies went to as I have called Bank America and a company called Focus they dealt with..
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also know that statue of limitations is up from 2003 to now but I was also told there is restitution monies that would be given out but never notified of this guy being in jail or anything. I tried to see if I could be on their list but some woman I spoke to said it was to late. When Steve refinanced the house it was in 2009 so I am hoping statue of limitations is not over for this
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience and I'd like to assist for informational purposes.

What a difficult situation! Before I get to your answer, can you clarify exactly who Steve is and what is his relationship to you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
common law husband
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Heather,
So glad to hear back :) Thank You as you can see I do need help -
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your previous contributor has left and I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR.
You understand that nobody from this site can actually represent you and all we can do is provide information to you regarding your situation?