Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

What can I do about repeated collection phone calls?

Customer Question

Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can file a complaint against the creditor for violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act the Federal Trade Commission. Furthermore, you can file suit in court against the creditor for violation of the FDCPA for up to $1000 per violation (per call) plus attorney's fees.
So to start this, you send the creditor a letter informing them that pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act their repeated phone calls constitute harassment and you are demanding they cease and desist all further communications regarding the debt. Tell them failure to honor your cease and desist demand will result in legal action under the FDCPA for damages up to $1000 per violation, plus attorney's fees in addition to you filing a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission for their violations.
Then if they do not stop you can file your complaint and also sue if you would like.