Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

My name Kirk and I have a question of what legal oblication

Customer Question

Hi,My name Kirk and I have a question of what legal oblication I have to repsoned to a lawyer requite for information that is now representing a client. There has never been a signed agreement with this client becasue the client refused any to sign any proposed writtened contracts. He did confirm verbal and in email responces that he was well aware he had no ownership right to sourcecode or copyrights. However, he is now threating to sue for ownership and copyrights ecentaully becasue there was never a written contract executed.Below is the email I received for this client new lawyer.From: Pat Shriver
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 2:41 PM
To: ***** *****
Cc: Jesse J. Klick
Subject: MCM Reach - Software IssuesMr. Larson, our firm represents MCM Services Group, and I believe Randy Juen let you know that I would be contacting you.At this point, we are trying to determine exactly what rights MCM has to the "MCM Reach" software system. I have reviewed numerous emails between you and Mr. Juen on this issue, but I am still not clear on the apportionment of software rights between BISSI and MCM. I would appreciate it if you could provide whatever clarity you can to this issue, including:· Confirming that MCM enjoys a license to the MCM Reach software, and any agreed-upon limitations of the license;· a list of any third-party software which is incorporated within the MCM Reach system (I am aware that Docusign and Twilio are incorporated in the system, and that there are likely other third-party licenses for incorporated modules);· whether there is any open source software Incorporated in the MCM Reach system.I realize that there have been some heightened emotions regarding this issue, but my goal at this point is simply to identify what rights MCM has to the MCM Reach system, and I would appreciate whatever information you can share with me.Pat Shriver
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 3 months ago.

Hello Kirk. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything. If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, I am on a mobile unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response – but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. You have absolutely ZERO obligation to respond to this lawyer's request for information. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything. I would be happy to do so. If there is a delay in responding it's because I'm working with another customer or simply not at my computer - but I assure you I will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Olivia, it's nice to hear from you so quickly.I should have asked if you have any recommendations of posible course of action(s) to consider taking regarding in regards ***** ***** clients lawyers request besides the obvious Hiring a IT lawyer.Also after speaking to the client. It is obvious he is attempting to find a legal loophole to aquire key business software development highly secretive trade secrets, softwares and copyrights we are using to support users accounts on our inhouse software platform. Under the believe that since there was no contract he get ownership of everything.Thanks

Hiring an attorney is always a good option, but if you don't want to go that route you can either (a) ignore the letter entirely or (b) state that you don't believe the client is entitled to that information. I would avoid getting into a back and forth with this attorney since it's not always a fair fight and you don't want to say anything that she can then use in litigation.