Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate

I'm a lawyer, but I'm now working as a consutant on

Customer Question

I'm a lawyer, but I'm now working as a consutant on corporate strategy. I do draft documents, send emails, etc., as part of the new governance and strategy work. Every communication includes a footnote saying that the communication in question is not the provision of legal advice, that the document(s) do not contain legal advice, and that the recipient should consult counsel of their choice regarding any legal issues related or unrelated to the document or email being sent.
My question is: could these footnoted communications still be considered as giving legal advice and thus be grounds for a malpractice claim? Though I have explicitly taken on non-legal work, I am wondering if I might need malpractice insurance anyway.
Please advise.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 3 months ago.

If you Are acting in that capacity, i.e. preparing or drafting documents, the footnotes might not be enough to protect you from malpractice claims. Therefore, you should carry E & O coverage. Especially, if you have sufficient assets that a client may wish to pursue you personally

Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. Please enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.