Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I have a small business with three to four employees

Customer Question

I have a small business with three to four employees including me. it is incorporated. I received a letter from NC industrial commission regarding the work com. insurance I bought the insurance on March 2016. but I'm incorporated on 2008. and they asking a penalty of $35000.
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question for us about this matter?

You do know as a corporation you would need to be represented by an attorney in any legal matters as a rule of law?

Have you tried to negotiate this with the state yet? Have you had this many employees since 2008?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I didn't try to negotiate the penalty. I know I need a lawyer to handle this for me. yes this is the average employees I have . up to 2010 the work com is part of the real estate insurance policey
Thank you for your reply.
So, at this point, before getting an attorney, you need to try to negotiate the penalty down with them. They are not going to go down much I am afraid, but can agree to waive interest and penalty charges against you. However, these cases are difficult because the state is going to force you to pay them something for not having the workers compensation coverage. If you said that the workers compensation was part of your real estate insurance coverage up to 2010, you need to provide the state proof of that to at least start to get them to reduce the amount if they are including those 2 years in the penalty and back payment. So start there and if they will not negotiate, then I am afraid you will have to hire a local attorney to try to resolve this with them with a reduced amount and some affordable payment plan.