How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 31982
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I red a contractor to do work on my home, not knowing he had

Customer Question

I hired a contractor to do work on my home, not knowing he had a drug problem, gave him 3000,00 dollars, he overdosed and passed away, is there any way I can get my money back
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Yes, you can file a claim against his estate for the return of your money.

Any interested party may open an estate. Even you can open an estate, as a creditor to pursue the claim. Of course, if he had no assets, then there is no point in putting in time or money to pursuing this, but it is worth checking if an estate is opened in the local probate court.