Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .

I live in Texas and am a small business owner. I recently

Customer Question

I live in Texas and am a small business owner. I recently did the flowers and decor for a client. The majority of the cost was the flowers. The day of decor was done as well. She got everything she ordered and I was told the flowers were beautiful. She put a stop payment on the check for $1358. The only thing paid was a $300 deposit. This was done without any complaints. After I contacted her she was upset that the venue would not let us put up tables outside due to a weather warning and that the cake stand she wanted to use was left at home. When we left the venue she said it looked great. She is refusing to pay what can I do to get this money paid?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

You have criminal and civil options.

Before you do anything, I would suggest you make a written demand that you be paid immediately, and threaten that if not paid, you will file a criminal complaint for theft and fraud.

Additionally, you can file suit in small claims court for breach of contract, fraud and theft of services. you may be entitled to collect punitive damages and attorney fees, as well as the amount owed for the flowers.

Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.