Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

I am an internet entrepreneur and would like to start a

Customer Question

I am an internet entrepreneur and would like to start a list/scheduling service similar to ZocDoc but for industries that are predominantly consultation based. I would like a lawyer to review the legality of the following business operation. The purpose of this is for my service to drive business signups at scale.
The operation is as follows:
1. The internet site lists business "profiles" which are filled with information collected from publicly data sources such as websites, Yelp, or LinkedIn profile
2. Additionally these profiles have "schedules" which list open time slots for a telephone consultation according the businesses hours listed on aforementioned sources
3. Customer picks a "slot" and inputs their contact details
4. The internet site sends via email a notification to the business owner that an anonymous customer would like a telephone consultation at the specified time
5. Full details of the customer is revealed to the business owner provided s/he signs up to "claim" the his/her profile on the internet site. this is sent via email.
6. "Claiming" the profile allows further customers to schedule consultations with the business directly, i.e. without the anonymized customer email step in #4
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Lawyer - Please disregard Live Phone Call Request. Prefer text based answer. Thanks
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 4 months ago.
Looking at your business model I am not seeing any illegal issues. You should have atrong contracts in place with the businesses and have disclaimers with customers that you are not liable for the acts or omissions of the businesses.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Quick follow ups:Would the contracts with the business have to be established BEFORE their information is listed on my website?
Would it be possible to establish this contract at step #5 when the business "claims" his/her profile on my site ?
I would recommend that.

I think before you list them on your site is better to avoid any infringement claims and to be sure you get the credit for your service.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Asad. Apologies if I was unclear.I am trying to understand what type of legal risks I am exposing myself to. Statements like, "I recommend ...", or "It is better if ... " make it difficult to gauge this risk.Are you saying that the business model I outlined in my original question is ILLEGAL or subject to serious legal dispute without a prior contract?

No it is not illegal from what I can tell. I am just recommending ways to limit any chance of a lawsuit aginst you guys.

We can talk by phone if you like but there are additional charges.

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating of our assistance is appreciated.