Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate
18215332

I transferred/sold a car to a friend of mine. We agreed that

Customer Question

I transferred/sold a car to a friend of mine. We agreed that she would pay monthly payments of $308 for 4 years to pay me off for the car. She paid the first 3 years of payments. She is now 5 months behind on the payments. I want to file a lien against the car in the State of California. How do I do this? What forms do I fill out? Do I turn the forms into the California DMV? Do I need to take the forms to the California DMV in person or can I mail them in?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

Posted in error.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.

When you transferred the title without retaining a lien under the provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code you probably lost your lien rights. I doubt that there is any form you can file at this late date to place a lien against the car when none was placed on it originally. California DMV regulations are not that plane so call them to determine exactly what rights you may still have, if any.