Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Please see our previous conversation attached. Plans have

Customer Question

Hi,Please see our previous conversation attached. Plans have changed and we are now moving to New York and not Chicago. Would the labor laws in New York be an issue?Kind regards,Chris
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, the law of independent contractors v. employees is a federal law. As I previously told you, it depends on control even in CA or any other state. So you can remain a consultant in NY forever, just like in IL and even in CA, as long as you are not being controlled by the employer who provides tools of the job and dictates your performance. You can read about the test used to determine independent contractors at: