Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I am a retired contractor that had a specialty license and a

Customer Question

I am a retired contractor that had a specialty license and a I still have some of my equipment for cutting concrete and asphalt. I was an owner operator company with no employees and had my license for 15-20 years. Several times a week people call me and I do small residential jobs that are 1 to 2 hours. Yesterday I cut about 15 ft of concrete at a residence for plumbing and my competitor apparently saw me there and called L&I. People know I am no longer licensed or insured before I do their job. I am retired because I am in my 70's and don't want to work much anymore. I do not advertise or call people and am well known in the area so people still have my number and call me. Is this okay for me to do as a "handyman" type of work?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under WA law, "Handyman" is defined as a contractor who is an individual who does all work personally without employees or other specialty contractors. A handyman may perform more than one unrelated specialty trade or craft provided they do all work themselves. All work shall be limited to minor and casual work of existing residential maintenance and repair with a total dollar value of time and materials under two thousand dollars. Work requiring a building permit may not be done by this specialty.
So if your work falls into that category you may perform as a handyman.

Did you have any additional questions for us?