DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC
89364048

I am starting a new LLC out in California that will have a

Customer Question

I am starting a new LLC out in California that will have a couple DBA's underneath it. One of the DBA's will be a clothing line. I want to register trademark the clothing line name so it becomes my property. I know all about being the first to have it out in the market so that is not my question. My question is do I get my LLC first, then get a dba for my clothing line, and then trademark it? Want to make sure I do this in the right order. The LLC name will be different then the clothing line. I cant afford multiple LLC's right now especially in California and I do know the risk of having a bunch of business's under one LLC. Please help.
Thank you!
Michael
Category: Business Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Michael, technically, the order would be LLC->DBA->Trademark. But, you can do it largely simultaneously. So long as you confirm the DBA name that you want is available you can reserve it and proceed with the Trademark application. You do not need to have the approval of the LLC completed either before registering the DBA. The only risk you run is that your LLC name itself is rejected for some reason. But again, you can either reserve the name or proceed with the limited risk someone else will take it in meantime. If your LLC application is rejected initially for another reason, you will still be able to proceed and cure the LLC application deficiency at the same time. Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you have! Could I ask another question? I started the LLC process and I am trying to apply for an EIN. It asks for my LLC start date. Can I get my ein before the acceptance of my LLC and if so what date could I put down? Could I put the date I applied?

Oh great! Yes, put down the date you applied. The exact date is not important for what they need that information for, it is more for tax year purposes. Good luck!

Thank you for your question. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question. It is important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism, there is no charge for follow-up questions. Finally, please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. I wish you the best in your endeavors! –Rich