Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

In Illinois, are employers required to pay employee time to

Customer Question

In Illinois, are employers required to pay employee for travel time to other site locations for work. For example, I have a part-time workforce, and have several employees who may work 3 different programs at 3 different locations. For example, one program may end at 9am, and the next program won’t start until 11am and end around 1pm, and the next program won’t start until 3pm. Am I under any obligation to pay commute time between locations, someone told me in Illinois, if the commute time is 1 hour or less, you must pay employees (in this situation that 1 hour or less won’t apply, but was wondering if you have any insight on this rule where the commute time is within 1 hour)
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the fair labor standards act, FLSA, you must pay for travel time once an employee comes to work or shows up at one site and has to leave to go to another site. You do not have to pay from travel to or from home to work under the portal to portal rule. If they have to show up at the office first, then go to a site, then to another site, the time from the office to the site or site to site must be paid as work time.