J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.
64316804

In the state of Arkansas there is a law that any company or

Customer Question

In the state of Arkansas there is a law that any company or facility that is going to charge storage on a car that the lien holder must be notified within 10 day from the first date storage fees are charged or they can only charge 10 days no matter how long they have had the unit. What if any laws are there in FL in a situation like this.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Under Florida if notice is not provided then no charges can be collected. Section 713.78 states:

“(9) Failure to make good faith best efforts to comply with the notice requirements of this section shall preclude the imposition of any storage charges against such vehicle or vessel.“

“(4)(a) Any person regularly engaged in the business of recovering, towing, or storing vehicles or vessels who comes into possession of a vehicle or vessel pursuant to subsection (2), and who claims a lien for recovery, towing, or storage services, shall give notice to the registered owner, the insurance company insuring the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of s. 627.736, and to all persons claiming a lien thereon, as disclosed by the records in the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles or as disclosed by the records of any corresponding agency in any other state in which the vehicle is identified through a records check of the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System or an equivalent commercially available system as being titled or registered. my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! Please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).”

“(c) Notice by certified mail shall be sent within 7 business days after the date of storage of the vehicle or vessel to the registered owner, the insurance company insuring the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of s. 627.736, and all persons of record claiming a lien against the vehicle or vessel. It shall state the fact of possession of the vehicle or vessel, that a lien as provided in subsection (2) is claimed, that charges have accrued and the amount thereof, that the lien is subject to enforcement pursuant to law, and that the owner or lienholder, if any, has the right to a hearing as set forth in subsection (5), and that any vehicle or vessel which remains unclaimed, or for which the charges for recovery, towing, or storage services remain unpaid, may be sold free of all prior liens after 35 days if the vehicle or vessel is more than 3 years of age or after 50 days if the vehicle or vessel is 3 years of age or less..”

source:http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0713/Sections/0713.78.html

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! Please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).