Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.

How do you have to file a lawsuit against an ex-partner

Customer Question

How long do you have to file a lawsuit against an ex-partner for a business where they agreed to pay you for withdrawing from the partnership agreement? I have a written contract that was signed before a notary and the business was located in Ohio?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Effective September 28, 2012, Ohio Revised Code (ORC) Section 2305.06 was changed to provide for a statute of limitations of eight years on claims based on the breach of a written contract, which it sounds like is what you are talking about.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am familiar with the 8 year statute of limitations. Would that be based off of the signed date of the written contract? Is it additional money to speak with you over the phone?

It is based off of the date of the breach of the contract, not the signing date. Yes, the website charges extra for phone calls but I don't do them. I only provide services through this type of forum for a variety of reasons. Almost all questions can be resolved in this type of forum.