Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

We got scammed last Friday, it looks that we sold 2 vehicles

Customer Question

We got scammed last Friday, it looks that we sold 2 vehicles (value $28,000) for only $5 and the scammers filled IRS Papers to Pay their debt to IRS with our vehicles.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Hi,I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Can you explain how you were able to sell two cars for $5. Do you have the names and addresses of the buyers of your vehicles?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they are companies, came in our office they requested contracts to be taken to their banks in order to get money transferred in our account. They got our account information and tax I'd number. They got 2 contracts and they fraudulent stamped the stamp Full Satisfaction of Claim 3-311. Today we received copies of IRS form filled up and a check from their name made to US Tresury showing that they paying their debt with our vehicles
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They gave us $5 to show they are serious buyers
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we have the names and addresses of the buyers, 2 companies
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
These are serious criminal offenses. You need to file a complaint with your Police Department and with the FBI at the field office nearest you if you haven't done so already. You can also report the Tax fraud directly to the IRS. Here is their website: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-you-report-suspected-tax-fraud-activity
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have been at the police station they sad if we didn't loose anything yet that's nothing we can file, we still have the cars and the titles. But they trying to bay debt with the collateral of our vehicles
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that's not a present loss but future one
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Didn't really wanna involve FBI in this
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
You don't have monetary damages at this time. They did however still commit fraud. If you don't want to involve the FBI, then just report the matter for what it is to the IRS. Then down the road in the event that you do sustain losses somehow, you can go back to the police or to the FBI with the additional evidence.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Question, this was a private transaction and should involve only certified funds, they payed us cash $5 and that turned the deal into public transaction, that by law can't be done between two companies. Do you think contract is automatically voided because of that?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the delayed reply. I turned off my computer for the night before your last response came through. I'm going to opt out of your question and open it up to other lawyers. My background is primarily in criminal law, and your follow up involves business law and commercial contracts. Another lawyer will pick up this matter and you will be notified when one replies.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
A different Professional here. I do not understand your statement regarding private vs public transaction: "Question, this was a private transaction and should involve only certified funds, they payed us cash $5 and that turned the deal into public transaction, that by law can't be done between two companies. Do you think contract is automatically voided because of that?" Generally, payment does not convert a private transaction to public transaction. Kindly clarify. Thank you for your cooperation,