Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

Re AM radio. If Station goes silent year how can one get the

Customer Question

re AM radio. If Station goes silent for 1 year how can one get the license.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Assuming the license is not reinstated, after a year of silence the operating license of the station is automatically cancelled. The license does not immediately become available. If you are interested you have to wait until the next application filing window. At that time you can file an application for a new AM station with all technical showings to show lack of interference with other AM stations.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What is meant by next application filing window.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Under what circumstance is there an "auction". How & when is this held.
Can I find a broadcast lawyer that can secure the license for me without having to Wait years for the license to come up for renewal

There is a period of time when applications for new radio stations to be applied for. You can next when the next window is by contacting the FCC. Here is their website https://www.fcc.gov/ To find a lawyer that specializes in radio stations check lawyers.com or findlw.com where they list lawyers by specialty and geographic area. I suggest you look for one in Washington DC. There is an auction page that you can check about auctions. Here is the link. http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/default.htm?job=auctions_home

Auctions occur when there would be mutually exclusive applications, i.e. where there would be interference between stations if all applications were granted. That is what triggers an auction. There is a public notice when an auction is scheduled.

Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 9 months ago.

I sent you an answer about a week ago and have not had a response. I believe i have answered all your questions. I need you to highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question.