Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

I had an employee sign up a 17 yr old in Sept 2015 and the

Customer Question

I had an employee sign up a 17 yr old in Sept 2015 and the boy turned 18 in October. He has used the gym and has been paying for the membership himself up until May 2016. His mother is demanding a full refund. Is she or her son entitled to full refund? Even if he has continued to pay for the last 8 months himself?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. The mother would never be entitled to a refund because she's not a party to the contract. If the son is taking money she gave him to pay you, that's between them. It's not something you as a business would have to worry about. If the mother returns and causes a scene, you have a right to call police to remove her from the premises (or let her know you will if she doesn't leave on her own). The boy would be entitled to a refund of the amounts paid in October because a minor cannot sign a binding contract. However, when he turned 18 and continued using the gym, he affirmed the contract. That means he's not entitled to a refund for the monies paid (and you actually didn't have a legal obligation to cancel the contract, because he affirmed it). If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. Is there anyway this could be typed up in a official letter that I could forward to mom and/or son? She has been harassing us stating she is going to take us to courtSincerely,
Ginnie frenette
JustAnswer experts unfortunately are not able to draft letters on behalf of customers - we can only give general information. You are free to do what you wish with the information given, or any local attorney can draft a "cease and desist" letter for you. You can also simply tell her that you'll see her in court and decline to engage in any other communication.
Did you have any other questions about this?