Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Thinking of manufacturing Trumpkin's...with a cartoon face

Customer Question

Thinking of manufacturing Trumpkin's...with a cartoon face of TRUMP. I know he is in the public domain. The question is the cartoon likeness of Trump protected if I engage in the sale of it? I am well aware of Mr. Trump being litigious and want to make sure we are on solid ground if we do not use his name (registered out the ying yang)?
JA: The Corporate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I am a lawyer
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Corporate Lawyer should know?
Customer: hee hee
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Corporate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Cartoon likenesses of any public figure are allowed to be produced and sold and they do not have a right to privacy or to protect their image or likeness from being used in commercial ventures. Furthermore, this is satire, which would be a fair use of his image even if for some reason it may have been copyrighted or trademarked.