Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.

In the animal/agricultural business here in Texas, I often

Customer Question

In the animal/agricultural business here in Texas, I often have inspections with USDA inspectors, and in which we have a license with them, (USDA). This week during a routine inspection the inspector asked if I was an employee with the company? Duh, been dealing with them for over 8 years and our owner/license holder list me as his License Manager each year on our renewals, and has for the past 8 years.The inspector then asked that I give him copies of my W2 and pay stubs to verify. Needless to say I told him no, and that I have been a listed manager at these sites for years and gone through dozens of inspections with other USDA inspectors that documented me as the “manger” for years.My question is, 1: Isn’t this appropriate for him to ask for this personal information. 2: Who can ask for that info, and is there any law or regulation I can quote?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. 1) I can't really answer as to what is "appropriate" or not since "appropriate" isn't a legal term and is ambiguous so what one person thinks is appropriate another may not. I can tell you there is nothing illegal about what he is asking. 2) Anyone who is inspecting or processing for the USA can ask for that information and there is no law stating that it isn't allowed (or, for that matter, that it is allowed). You can object to providing it if you want, but you stand a chance on them penalizing the location for not cooperating with the inspection. Most of the issues that arise during inspections are covered by the manual produced by the ESDA. Most of these are available online. For instance, the one for the Specialty Crops inspection is at and the section dealing with the inspection starts at p. 77 of the manual. I've seen several different manuals and they all are essentially the same when it comes to these parts of the manuals. The section dealing with appeals is at p. 2 and afterwards.