Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

Can i change single member LLC to multi member LLC? is it

Customer Question

can i change single member LLC to multi member LLC? is it difficult?
Submitted: 5 months ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is registered in the state of Virginia
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.
1. You should amend your Articles of Organization to include the names of the additional members.2. You will also need to amend your Operating Agreement to address the change in membership interests.3. You should file any amendment of your Articles of Organization with the Secretary of State.4. If you already registered your single-member LLC for an employer identification number and you chose the default pass-through tax status, then you must file Form 8832 with the IRS because adding members to your LLC changes the default tax status to a partnership.