Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I have questions regarding Stockpile sales: 1. If l bought

Customer Question

I have questions regarding Stockpile sales:
1. If l bought a product with coupons and wanted to resell the item would that be illegal? Let's say the coupon stated that the item is not for resale, does my owning the product not matter anymore under those terms and conditions? What would be the legal repercussions of not abiding by these terms of conditions? Also does intent matter?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 7 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. If you obtained the products lawfully, even if through the use of coupons, then the products are now yours and you may dispose of them as you wish. There is a doctrine called the First Sale Doctrine that is recognozed by the US Supreme Court. The First Sale Doctrine provides that the lawful purchaser of a trademarked product or copyrighted work has the right to resell that product or work. This article explains the First Sale Doctrine in more detail: http://seattletrademarklawyer.com/blog/2012/2/28/the-first-sale-doctrine-protects-the-right-to-resell-genuine.html I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck,Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.