Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .
17897874

I have been trying to obtain money due me one year

Customer Question

I have been trying to obtain money due me for about one year now. it is approx. $30,000
the first 2 attorneys sent letters of demand but the company did not respond. now I have
obtained a third atty who is going to due this on contingency. They will not send the letter but will send a complaint what happens after this. if this is contingency will I have to pay for the complaint what else should I asked this firm. I am a little concerned because I spent 5k each on the original letters . does contingency have expenses they are not talking about. ty
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.Did you sign a written contingency fee agreement with the new attorney? Does it specify how expenses are treated?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
not yet I did get 3500 back from the second attny and the new lawyer said he would use that for the complaint I am worried about the rest he said it would be contingent
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Typically, the expenses are deducted from the settlement in addition to the attorney fees.In order to be enforceable, a contingency fee agreement must be in writing and signed by the client and attorney.You can negotiate a staggered fee based upon the stage at which there is a recovery. For example, the agreement could provide that the attorney is entitled to 20% if he does not have to file suit to settle, 33% if it settles after suit is filed and 40% if it goes to trial. These are just examples.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that's not what I asked and I don't think I will be giving you another 60 dollars
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Then let's clarify what information you are seeking. Didn't you ask how expenses are handled in a contingency fee agreement?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
You said you were worried how the expenses are treated. Did I misunderstand you?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Are you still online with me?