CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.

I run a dog rescue and a dog that had been adopted killed

Customer Question

I run a dog rescue and a dog that had been adopted killed the families cat a couple weeks after they adopted her. They returned her. In my contract it says the adoption fee is a donation and is non refundable. I received this from her today.Jayla, I want you to be aware that I am going to write a letter to the editor of the paper here in town regarding my experience with your adoption agency or recue. Especially the fact that you wont refund in special cases. Which mine is very definitely a special case. You lied to me in the original ad. ( I printed it out). You also make sure that no one is able to adopt unless they make a "donation". This by the way is coercion and illegal. I decided to also will report you to the BBB or where ever you report volunteer organizations.You should be ashamed shame, when there are honest people out there doing the same thing. And I don't wish to hurt the animals.I have the signed contract. Can I do anything to stop her espically since she had signed the agreement?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 6 months ago.
Dear Customer,While you cannot prevent them from posting something, they cannot force you to return the donation that they made.(This is based on what you have represented as a "non-refundable donation" which is fairly standard for non-profit pet rescues. Please understand, I cannot review your contract or provide you with a formal analysis of the contract or provide you with formal legal advice).If they do file a BBB complaint, what happens is the BBB will contact you, ask for your response to their complaint - you tell them, and the BBB can "resolve" their complaint (the BBB has no enforcement authority, they merely provide a forum to allow consumers to resolve disputes outside of court).Based on what you have posted, you appear to simply have a very frustrated, and upset customer, and they are threatening this to get some form of compensation. You don't have to give in to their threats, but if you want to resolve it short of them carrying out their threatened posting, you can negotiate a "mutual release" in which they accept their deposit back and agree not to disclose anything regarding the dispute.