Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I requested copies of car documents from a car dealership for

Customer Question

I requested copies of car documents from a car dealership for a car my husband & I purchased jointly a few years ago. My husband works at that dealership where we purchased the car and the owner of the dealership told me to get copies via my divorce attorney. My name and my signature are on those car doc's. Don't they have to legally provide those documents to me???? Civil Rights Violation??
JA: Divorce can be tough for everyone involved, but arming yourself with accurate information is key to taking charge of a situation. For starters, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: PA
JA: Has anything been filed in court yet?
Customer: Not for the vehicle. We are working on divorce settlement issues.....that is how the issue w/the car arose.
JA: Divorce is seldom "one size fits all", so I recommend you spend a little time with one of the legal eagles we work with. It would be my pleasure to match you with the best fit. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I just merely want to know if the car dealership is legally obligated to provide "copies" to me of a car that was jointly purchased since my name & my signature are on the doc's.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Corporate Lawyer should know?
Customer: No. Just trying to respond back to owner of car dealership on his refusal to provide copies to me.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Corporate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no civil right involved in this, the government is not doing anything to you and the dealership is not infringing on a civil right. They are infringing on a consumer right, since as a consumer you are entitled to a copy of any contract you signed. However, while the dealer does have to provide a copy of what you signed, if they refuse you have two options that you can pursue. First, you would inform them that you will be filing a complaint with the DMV Dealer Licensing Unit for them refusing to provide you a copy of your contract that you signed and ask the DMV to come in and investigate them. Most dealers are afraid of DMV coming in because they do not just investigate one thing, they look at all of the records.
Second, you do as they say and get your attorney to get a subpoena for the information, if they still refuse to give it to you when you tell them you will report them to the DMV Dealer Unit. If you have to get a subpoena, then in addition to that you also file your complaint to the DMV against them.