Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

Can a person sell the same asset to two separate people, I

Customer Question

Can a person sell the same asset to two separate people, I bought a business that included a mobile home. someone else purchased the property that the business was located on and the mobile home was listed as part of the property in the sale. the owners have now been compensated twice, is this legal.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon Annie. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. No, this is certainly not legal. You can't sell what you don't own. So, once the assets was sold initially, the person was then selling something he didn't own. This is not only a breach of contract when the person sold an asset to the second person that the person didn't own, it is fraud. That would entitle the second person not only to actual damages, but also punitive damages due to the fraud. Also, the second person could pursue criminal charges against the person by contacting the district attorney's office. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!