Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I am a board member nonprofit HOA and the newly appointed Recreation Chair. I have

Customer Question

I am a board member for a nonprofit HOA and the newly appointed Recreation Chair. I have a pool rule I need help with and I'm hoping your HOA can help.
We have a pool rule which states: "Adults and children shall use the restroom for clothing changes. Skinny dipping and public nudity are prohibited".
Last summer the above was challenged by a resident with two children under the age of 6 and one infant. The grandmother of the resident was changing the infant on the pool deck as she would not use the bathroom; she felt the changing table is not sanitary enough. We have tried changing/updating the rule but find there are so many concerns about age of children, nudity and predators, parents having children in the pool and not wanting to go into the restroom to change an infant, etc., etc. Right now I've got brain fog and need direction.
Advice?
Thank you,
Karen Force
Board Member & Rec Chair
Willamette Landing Owners Association
Corvallis, OR
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for. Rather than you trying to impose a particular rule on the community, why don't you lay out a couple of variations on the rule and let the community vote on the rule. One version would be what you have now. Another would make the rule apply only to children over the age of six.This is not a question of discrimination. The rule you have currently is perfectly enforceable and well within the board's authority. However, sometimes if there is significant resistance or non compliance with a rule, if the community votes on it you will get the compliance you need.If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.
I sent you an answer several days ago. If you have any more follow up questions, please let me know. if not, please highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question.