Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate
18215332

How can I liquidate my stock certificate after I leave the

Customer Question

How can I liquidate my stock certificate after I leave the startup company as an early employee. The company is not public yet. It's actually right after A-round investment. I tried both SharesPost and EquityZen already.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 7 months ago.
If the Corporation has not gone public, then your stock has neither an ascertainable market value nor a buying public. You will have to find a buyer on your own, and you may be barred from selling the stock without first giving other shareholders the right of first refusal. Such restrictions are often noted on the stock certificate itself. Your best bet is to try to sell your stock to someone who is already an investor in the company.I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.
Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.