Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I am buying out my business partner, we are 50% partners. i

Customer Question

I am buying out my business partner, we are 50% partners. i have a loan approved for the bulk of the money. At what point can I take money from the business for the balance?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for. Once you and your partner have agreed on the price and you have the loan. If the funds in the business are sufficient to pay the balance you can take the money from the business.If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your answer is unclear, the buyout is for $500000, loan is for $400000. Can I take the balance $100000 from the business to pay the balance before or after settlement, and how will this affect each partners taxes
You can take the $100,000 from the business to pay the balance. The payment should be made at the time the sale is effective. If the closing date of the sale is 4/30 you would make the payment on or after that date. On that date, the selling partner's interest is terminated and his right to share in the profits and losses of the business terminate as of that date. All assets in the business are yours. Whatever the profits and losses of the business are as of that date is what he participates in for tax purposes. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not please highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question.
I answered your question however, it appears that you forgot to rate my answer. Please highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question.