Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

I owe back child support and am a partner in business. It's

Customer Question

I owe back child support and am a partner in business. It's an LLC company can the garnish the business
JA: OK. The Corporate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: What do u need. It's a new business. I'm looking to settle back money owed to child support if they will work out a deal
JA: Anything else I can tell the Corporate Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: How much of rear money do I have to pay to prevent garnishing of private property n business funds. I owe 33,000.00. Was hoping to settle for lump some of 25,000.00. Being as I've been out of work for a while nie
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Corporate Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: Now. Sorry
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. An LLC is a separate legal entity which cannot be taken to pay the debts of any one owner, as long as you're following corporate formalities. That means, in part:You host board meetings and keep minutes before taking action (at least quarterly).All of your bank accounts are in the LLC's name. (It's OK if you're a signer.)All LLC debts are paid through the LLC's bank account.You do not use your own credit cards or bank account to purchase anything for the company.You do not use LLC funds to buy yourself things and pay yourself back.The fastest way for people to lose the protection of having an LLC is by using LLC funds interchangeably with their own. If you and your partner(s) are treating the business as a separate entity, the custodial parent should not be able to attach the business. They CAN give the business a court order stating that, any time you are owed money, it has to go to child support instead. The LLC could become liable if they get an order like that and they ignore it. How much you have to pay to prevent garnishment is really up to the judge and the custodial parent. Once there's a judgment, they'd be allowed to garnish your private property. There are some exceptions as to when your home could be taken, though. What state are you in? Are you currently married?