MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
16277701

I am considering filing a suit against my company of

Customer Question

I am considering filing a suit against my company for lack of overtime. I am located in Maryland, the office is in Colorado. The company is incorporated in Delaware. Which state should I file in?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MDLaw replied 1 year ago.

Do you work for them in Maryland? When you say lack of overtime, can you be more specific?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I work in several states for them. Maryland, Delaware, New York, New Jersey, Virginia are my coverage area. I am classified as an exempt employee and I believe that the classification is in error.
Expert:  MDLaw replied 1 year ago.

A suit alleging that you have been incorrectly classified as exempt would be a suit under the Fair Labor Standards Act which is federal law. Therefore, you would want to file suit in the federal court where you reside. You can sue them in any federal court but if you live in Maryland, it would be more convenient for you to file there since you will have to go to court.

Please let me know if this has answered your question. If it has, could you please be so kind as to leave a positive rating so that I may receive credit for having assisted you. If you need further information, simply reply back and I'd be happy to continue assisting you. Thank you for allowing me to help you this evening.

Expert:  MDLaw replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any additional information? If not, please be so kind as to leave a positive rating so that I may receive credit for the time spent assisting you.