Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I am the founder of a non profit organization. Recently I

Customer Question

I am the founder of a non profit organization. Recently I have out a individual on the Board that I believe is trying to stir up trouble for me. There are 6 voting member including me. I have a vote. 3 of us are against the direction of the non profit and the other half have been swayed. What are my legal rights as a voting member and president and founder of the organization?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The direction of where these individual are trying to nogociate deals with particular group that I had try to work with in the past has been proven to cause us a lot of trouble and even lost projects that I worked on for the organization. This is a proven fact. Also, the very group that the three individuals are trying to work with have been the cause of hindering some of projects and cause others to be stopped. This particular group is our local city council and also chamber of commerce. 4 of us have been on the ground floor dealing with these issue since the beginning. Even the board member stirring up trouble was outdated as by these very people that their trying to work with. As founder and president I really disagreed with this relationship trying to be formed. Because, I have to tried to work with these very same ciivic groups in the past with organization and we have lost projects and money because of it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Business Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, unless your bylaws provided you with special rights as the founder of the non-profit, the board vote is what directs and runs the organization. You have the right to cast your vote and to also speak to other board members to try to sway them to your position. However, the board of directors, absent any clause in your organization bylaws, governs and their decision is final based on their vote. You may disagree with their direction, but if the board votes to go that way you cannot do anything about it, so before they vote to do what you believe will be wrong, all you can do is present your evidence to the other board members to get them to vote with you to stop this conduct.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do I have the right to select another board member to the board. Plus the board member causing trouble sent me a text that she was writing her letter of resignation and I guess one of the board members talked her out of it. But she sent me the text that she was. Two of the board member said they would accept that as a resignation. But, I told them that I think she has to give a letter. I selected the others in the past.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Board members I selected
Thank you for your reply.
What does your bylaw state about removal or selection of bylaws? Even though you may have initially selected them, you need to read what the bylaws say about removal. Also, a resignation is effective at the time it is given and it does not have to be by a letter unless your bylaws say it has to be a letter, as long as you have it in the text, you could accept that as a resignation.

Do you have any further questions for us on this matter?