Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I own a small old Convience store and would like to know

Customer Question

I own a small old Convience store and would like to know that how much space required between two gondolas
Right now I have only 30 inch so can I put a sign out side of my business with a door bell to assist them so handicap person does not have to come inside of store
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The statute does not actually state how much space should be between the gondolas and even though you have a bell and will assist a handicapped person so they do not have to come in, your store under the Americans with Disabilities Act is supposed to be accessible to those with disabilities. Typically 36 inches is the width that allows a wheelchair to pass, but many scooters and chairs will pass through 30 inches. So you cannot exclude people who are handicapped with the bell, but you need to make one space wide enough for the person with a wider device to access your store.

Do you have any further questions for us?