Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I own a marketing agency and we have a new client who is a

Customer Question

I own a marketing agency and we have a new client who is a non-profit/charitable organization. They just told us that we have to register in all states we are marketing on their behalf. Here is the site:
We are not a non-profit, and all donations will occur on the client's website We won't collect any donations). We are providing email and social media marketing services. I only see that non-profits are supposed to register.
Can you tell me if my marketing agency has to register? And where/how is this done?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you are going to be soliciting on behalf of a non-profit, not collecting on their behalf but soliciting, then the NON-PROFIT needs to be registered in those states, not you. So it is their responsibility to register in those states if their non-profit will be soliciting in those states. If they do not use the URS site then the non-profit has to register in each state, not you as you are just working for them as your agent.