Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

I have an ad on Craigslist to re personal assistant part

Customer Question

I have an ad on Craigslist to hire personal assistant part time. When they email me a resume, I sometimes ask for a photo by email- is this legal? Some have complained that it's not.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Asking for a photograph with a resume is going to potentially open you up to discrimination lawsuits. Any person you choose not to hire who happens to be of a minority race, or religion, or even female, would have grounds to sue you if you hired someone else who was not a member of that minority. It's also illegal to state a gender preference in a job ad, so you can't ask for photographs to prove that. And because a person's appearance isn't relevant to their ability to do a personal assistant job, there isn't any legitimate reason to make that request. If you're just curious, once you've narrowed down the candidates for the position, you can arrange in-person meetings or do interviews over video chat.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.